Ideas for Future Releases

Coordinator
Mar 12, 2008 at 8:18 PM
If you have any ideas for navigation web parts. Please respond with your ideas and a description of how it would work. If there is enough interest our development team can work on that for a future release.
Jul 11, 2008 at 4:07 AM
Thank you for posting the Show Sub Sites web part, a simple but very useful navigation tool.  It would be so much more useful if it could display different columns (attributes) from the site list.  In particular, the site owner and the categories with which the site is associated.

Thanks again,
Thomas Walters
Jul 11, 2008 at 4:08 AM

twalters wrote:
Thank you for posting the Show Sub Sites web part, a simple but very useful navigation tool.  It would be so much more useful if it could display different columns (attributes) from the site list.  In particular, the site owner/contact and the categories with which the site is associated.

Thanks again,
Thomas Walters

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:12 PM
I would also like to thank you for posting the Cascading Navigation web part. I'm trying to set up a WSS site for the first time, and it's honestly a lifesaver. -- Out of curiosity, though, is there any way to modify the fly-out menu's background and border colors? Thank you for your help!
Nov 18, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Edited Nov 18, 2008 at 6:11 PM
Using Designer, there are two ways to change the background color in the NavBar and two types of menu displays to change. The menu item and the hover colors. You can use the tags after highlighting the NavBar or you can go directly to the line configuring the Hover. Look for DynamicHoverStyle and set the BackColor in a hex format.  Here are a couple of my settings for menu items:

<DynamicMenuStyle  BackColor="#F2F3F4" BorderColor="#A7B4CE" BorderWidth="1px"/>
<DynamicHoverStyle Bold="True" BackColor="#F2F3F4">

The default is:

<DynamicMenuItemStyle CssClass="ms-topNavFlyOuts"/>
<DynamicHoverStyle CssClass="ms-topNavFlyOutsHover"/>

Once you understand it, the code is far easier to use as figuring out the tags can be confusing (at least it was for me). One thing that makes for a nice hoverstyle is to turn bold to true and as the user hovers over each menu item it stands out in bold. I find that more useful then changing the color. However, if you are using flyouts, be aware that the bold will push the flyout item to the right and leave a gap when it goes back to normal as bold is a larger font.

I encourage you to become familiar with the code and, of course, you ALWAYS back up your default.master before making changes, right?

Rob
Nov 18, 2008 at 7:01 PM
Well, thank you for your advice. But this is a web part we're talking about, right? One that I've inserted into my master page using the following code:

<customnav:CascadingNav runat="server" id="customNav" Set_AdminList="WSSNavigation" __WebPartId="{89DFF3CB-0E4A-4623-B69B-DFB818FBF6DB}"/>

So where do you fit the DynamicMenuStyle and DynamicHoverStyle tags in? I'm a little lost.

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:11 PM
Ooops. I missed the web part navigation part. It just came up in my email and I jumped at responding without reading prior posts.  I just recently built this site with custom flyout menus for a large client site so that's on my mind. You'll need to talk to the original author who posted back in March. Good luck.

Rob Moses
Dec 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Recently I got interest on the Navigation component for SharePoint. I found some of the issues and limitations in your code.

1. Please dispose the spsite, spweb objects properly. (issue)

2. Each time you visit the page, then the complete code executes. (performance issue)

3. Please don't use foreach instead use for loop. (least performance issue)

4. Cascaded Navigation is limited only for 3 levels. (limitation)

Suggestions

1. Check for the non-disposed objects and dispose.

2. In order to stop the complete code to be execute again and again, I'd suggest to make the navigation component as a provider. Which handles the caching mechanism itself.

Otherwise use the explicit cache mechanism and read from cache.

3. foreach loops needlessly.

4. Rather than give a choice field to construct the parent, child relationship using 'level#', use a lookup field for the same list, which enables the component to go forward with any number of levels.

I welcome your response from you, team :)